Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Being 40

About the age of 35, I tried to have a mammogram scheduled for myself. Each and everytime I was told that my insurance would not pay for it. I wasn't old enough. I did not have family history. I was not high risk.
And yet....each year, I would attempt to get it handled.


Now I'm 40, and the doctors, the friends, the commecials, the junk mail are all trying to get me to schedule a mammogram.
After all this is October, which means much more than fall or Halloween. It means it is Breast Cancer Awareness month.



I turned 40 in April and for someone who was so eager to get it accomplished for the last 5 years, I somehow figured out a way to put this off for 6 months.



I called a couple of days ago and she offered up an appointment for today at 6:30 AM. I am not really sure what I was thinking saying okay. I didn't even ask if there was a different or better time. I just took it. I had major regret at about 5:30 AM when the alarm went off.



The experience as a whole was not much different than getting a pap. It's very quick, there's that slight moment of body exposure to a total stranger, and then that quick moment of discomfort that lasts about as long as a blink of an eye.

The most painful part is waiting for a clean bill of health...

I decided I would make you all wait with me. Won't you have a seat in my waiting room? I'll let you know when the results are ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are cracking me up. At least we can laugh while we wait.

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon!! See, I told you it's not all that bad.