Sunday, November 19, 2006

Happy Holidays

The very minute that the season of Pilgrims sharing a meal with Indians has passed and we've all awoken from our Turkey coma,
we are hanging the stockings from the chimney with care in hopes that St. Nicholas will soon be there.

I am already exhausted thinking of our one warm day next week in the 50's, which is Thursday, which is Thanksgiving. I will have to take advantage of that day by demanding that the Christmas lights be hung. That can't be right! How can I possibly celebrate 2 holidays in one day?

Then we have to take our stressful, screaming at the kids to smile, don't we all look "happy" photo for our annual Christmas card. Why, you ask? Because I began this tradition on my 15 years olds first Christmas. So many people tell us how much they look forward to our cards. One year my hubby and I decided that we were done sending out the 150 cards list we had built up over our 17 year marriage, 6 moves with many friends around the USA. Our strategy was to only send to the people who send us a card. We eliminated many, and cut it down to about 90. Then we realized that Aunts and Uncles got shafted, even though we weren't receiving from them, WE had become their version of Pokemon/Digimon collectable cards. I still hear from my aunt how she's missing 1999's card and she really wants a complete set. So we're back up to 150, because if your going to include them you gotta include everyone. AND isn't Christmas about giving instead of receiving?

Then there's the obvious Christmas tree decorating, shopping, shipping, baking, wrapping, smiling, the list goes on and on....

So I am going to try and stop and enjoy the Thanksgiving season for what it is to me. A time to be thankful for all I have been blessed with in my life. And though I have not posted about our recent trip to Texas, I do want to say that I am very grateful for the honor of having had such an amazing father-in-law. He will be celebrating this holiday season in heaven, and as much as I already miss him, and it has only been a couple of weeks, I feel more blessed for having had him in our lives, as my childrens grampa, my husbands best friend,and the man who could make me laugh hysterically even if I was the brunt of his joke.

I hope that during this holiday season you find all of the blessings in your lives. Give Thanks and celebrate with your family while they are here, give them many hugs and always tell them you love them.

I am grateful for all of you.

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

...and Christmas card picture taking :)

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss. Here's wishing you a peaceful holiday season (and some kind of really good Photo Karma).