Tuesday, February 19, 2008

HAWAII BOUND.

What is the reaction one has to boarding an airplane and realizing that there is a child sitting nearby.

Movin Dad and I were fortunate enough to recently visit Hawaii. It was work for him but but all about fun and sun for me.

Technically it was a 10 hour flight, however it was broke in half with a layover in San Fran. Now neither he nor I had ever been to Hawaii, and this would be the longest I had ever sat on a plane. I brought my laptop and a ton of movies. I brought magazines, books, snacks, gum, and my ipod. I pretty much exhausted all carryon ingredients in the first hour. I didn't know what to do with myself. The challenge was much more mental. The mere idea that I would be sitting on the plane for 5 and 1/2 hours possessed my mind and I couldn't concentrate on one single task. I asked my husband every half hour, what time it was. Then it happened...

I spotted the child in front of us. Now remember I do have 4 children, so I am not one of those people who make faces and get irritated by young toddlers constant repeats of the question "WHY?" In fact, this boy was quite cute. He did talk through the entire flight and made his mommy read him books the entire way. This is all normal, right? I mean HEY, if I could have had someone read to me the whole way, time would have flown by. The issue I had was the MOMMY! This woman was like watching PBS on volume 52 the entire 5 1/2 hours.

I kid you not, she spoke to her son in such a loud voice, it was all I could think about the whole way. My mind was overcome with polite ways to ask her to BE QUIET, or to lower her voice, I wanted to kick her chair...but I didn't.

There was a moment that this young boy who's name we all learned very quickly because she repeated each and every single time she addressed him. STEVEN!

Yes, Steven, No Steven, Steven where's the giraffe, Steven, do you want a snack, Steven do you need to go to the bathroom, I don't know why STEVEN!!!!

Then Steven decides to share his knowledge of the planets, It was very cute......until Mommy got involved.

Mommy, Did you know that Mars is the largest planet?

STEVEN, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT MARS IS NOT THE LARGEST PLANET?

yes it is!

NO IT IS NOT

yes it is

NO IT IS NOT

yes it is

NO STEVEN IT IS NOT

yes it is

NO STEVEN MARS IS NOT THE LARGEST PLANET GEEZ!

yes it is

NO IT"S NOT


OMG I thought I was going to jump off the plane. Seriously...volume 52 the entire way.
Then she decides to use Stevens etch a sketch to send notes to her husband who was sitting on the row in front of them.
She had definitely mastered the skill of perfect etch a sketch handwriting. But her poor husband had not. This frustrated poor "Stevens mommy" and she decides to try and teach him from her back row (volume 52)
Look Honey you just turn this and then turn this...........

Then I heard the pilot, "Excuse me ladies and gentleman, we are arriving in San Francisco in approx 20 minutes.

WOW...that 5 1/2 hours flew by watching pre-school hour with "STEVENS MOMMY"

We stepped off the plane over to the next gate to get right back on the other plane heading for Hawaii.
AND YES....There is a GOD!
STEVEN and his mommy stayed in San Francisco.

Here we are as we descended into Hawaii, it was heaven.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

POOR STEVEN!!! Breathtaking snaps!

Unknown said...

Ever hear the old Bill Cosby bit with "Jeffery"? This sounds just like it.

I kinda hate you for getting to go away while it's so freakin' cold...although then again you escaped WI didn't you?

(wahhhhhh, I'm stuck all by myself here in WI-hell)

tommie said...

Eeks, I would so be tempted to say something...but then again, mine are 3 and 4. They are probably the ones annoying everyone else! LOL